Monday, June 13, 2011

Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin

Dear Brother Ron

Do other people hate the saying "Love the sinner, hate the sin" as much as I do? Isn't that just an excuse for Christians to say really hateful things without feeling like they're being hateful? Like telling people they're going to burn in hell (something many people don't believe in) for alleged "sins" like being gay or not believing in God, all the while ignoring their own sins because they prefer to point out other people's sins instead.

If that's love, would you do us a favor and love us a bit less?

lindsey p

Dear Lindsey P

To me, this has always sounded like a controlling mechanism. It sounds like they are saying, "We would love you if only you would ________". These statements are usually followed by some prediction of dire consequences (like burning in a lake of fire for all eternity) if you do not follow their advice. It sounds like a man who walks into a bank and says, "Do what I tell you and nobody gets hurt. Make one false move and I'll blow your brains out."

God wants willing servants, not hostages. The Bible also tells us that living a sinless life does not guarantee you a throne in Heaven.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The implication here is clear. Many will proclaim to be on a mission from God and acting in His name when their true mission is to accomplish a private agenda for personal emotional satisfaction or hope of achieving some exalted status in God's kingdom. Such people are described in I Corinthians 13:1. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal".

When I advise somebody against a certain course of action, I do so because I see how they are hurting themselves or others here in this life. If you choose to deny the power of God within you, you are not hurting God. God does not need your permission to be God. And He does not need our pitiful praise to inflate His ego. He already knows who and what He is.

On the other hand, you are depriving yourself of the power of God within you. It's kind of like going into a boxing match with one hand tied behind your back. I don't think you will burn in hell for it but you significantly reduce your chances of victory. Personally, I will take all the help I can get. As the least of God's servants, I am richer than Bill Gates and more powerful than the President. I simply invite others to share my riches and power.

If you choose to reject the offer, you have the right to do so. God literally has all the time in the world. He knows you will eventually figure it out.

Best always
Brother Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment