Sunday, June 12, 2011

Do You Believe Jesus Is Coming Back Soon?

Dear Brother Ron

Do you honestly believe that Jesus is coming down to earth on a cloud soon? I've heard many people say that Jesus will return in their lifetime and take all Christians up to heaven.

Matt

Dear Matt

I believe this to be one of the biggest fallacies in Christian theology. This belief is based on John 14:2&3:

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The fallacy is not that Jesus will return for us. The fallacy is in the teaching that He will return for everybody on the same day. The only time Jesus ever looked at somebody and said, "You are going to heaven" was the thief on the cross beside Him. And He did not say, "You are going to die but don't worry about it. Lay around in the grave for a thousand years or so and when I get around to it, I'll get back to you".

Luke 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Have you ever attended a funeral and heard the minister say something like, "I know Grandpa is looking down on us now from heaven"? Was the minister just telling a lie to comfort the survivors? I don't believe he was. I believe that, when our bodies are no longer a suitable host for the Holy Spirit living within, that Spirit returns to God from whom it came. And it doesn't take two thousand years or so for that to happen.

The other part of the fallacy is the belief that we will be bodily raised from the grave. My body is not exactly in perfect condition now. I don't even want to think about the shape it will be in after laying in a casket for awhile. When the body dies, the Spirit emerges free from impurities, disease and disabilities. The thought of having to leave a spiritual body which is free from earthly limitations and climb back into this sack of meat with bad knees, bad eyes and the foot of Frankenstein growing out of my right leg does not exactly thrill me.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes, I believe when this life is over, my Father will come to take me home. No, He won't come for everybody on the same day. But that's a good thing. Patience has never been one of my big virtues.

Best always
Brother Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment