Thursday, June 23, 2011

If God Only Helps Those Who Help Themselves

Dear Brother Ron

If God only helps those who help themselves why should you ask for God's help at all?

The Moon

Dear Moon

When our Father sends you help, you must be ready and willing to accept it. You must be seeking God's help and open to opportunities presented to you. Perhaps this story will help you to understand.

A man was trapped by a flash flood and only had time to scramble onto his roof before the water rose to flood levels. As he sat on his roof, the rain continued to fall and the water continued to rise. A few minutes later, a man came by in a rowboat. "Get in", said the man in the boat, "and I will take you to safety."

"No thanks", the man on the roof replied, "I know the Lord is going to save me from this flood."

The man in the rowboat continued downstream, looking for others to rescue. A few minutes later, a National Guard helicopter appeared. While the chopper hovered overhead, one of the crewmen dropped a rope ladder and yelled, "Sir, the water is rising. Climb the ladder and we will fly you out."

"No thanks", the man yelled back, "I have faith the Lord is going to save me."

The helicopter flew on, the water continued to rise and eventually, the man was swept off the roof by the rising water and drowned. He then found himself standing before the Lord. "Lord", he cried, "I had faith in you. I believed in you. Why did you not save me from the flood?"

"What are you talking about?", replied the Lord, "I sent you a rowboat and a helicopter."

You should continue to ask for God's help. But when the Lord sends us an opportunity, we must be ready and willing to act on it.

Best always

Brother Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment