Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Are There Things Science Can Not Explain?

Dear Brother Ron

Do you agree there are some things we simply cannot explain through science?

Razzletop

Dear Razzletop

Of course. In order to be scientifically valid, a theory must be based on observable phenomena. Furthermore, you must be able to duplicate the results in a controlled environment. There is a whole universe outside the limits of the scientific method.

The most obvious example is love. I love my wife deeply. But a scientist could argue that I only stay with her out of habit, a sense of duty or laziness and it was only lust that attracted me to her in the first place. Neither of us could prove our case in a laboratory.

The same is true of God. Since God exists in a reality beyond our concept of space and time, it would be impossible to contain him within a laboratory. Therefore, it would be impossible to scientifically prove the existence of God. On the other hand, just as I know deep down that my love for my wife is real, I know deep down that the love God has for me is real.

Science will never be able to explain that in terms which meet the criteria of the scientific method. On the other hand, they can't disprove it either.

Best always
Brother Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment