Saturday, May 7, 2011

Are There Many Paths to God?

Dear Brother Ron

Do you think there are many paths that lead to God or is there only one way?

C.L.

Dear C.L.

I have studied the literature of most of the world's major religions. Although each claims to have exclusive knowledge of God and His plan for this world, I find their visions and messages amazingly similar. So if you are asking whether there are many religious denominations which can help you find spiritual enlightenment, the answer is yes.

If you are asking whether you can do, say or think anything and still find God, the answer is no. The first secret to finding God is knowing where to look for Him. You will not find Him in a building, in a book, on the internet or on a television program. You will find Him living deep within the innermost core of your being. Jesus told us this:

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or lo there! For behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The second secret is recognizing Him once you find Him. Churches tell us we need to "believe in" God and Jesus. The word translated as "believe in" in the Bible is the Greek word pisteuo, which means to have faith or put trust with. Once you find the Spirit of God within you, you have to trust that Spirit to guide your thoughts, words and actions in the right direction. If you trust your own judgment more than God's, you obviously do not believe in Him.

Let me give you a small example. As I write this, I am sitting in a chair. I trust the chair to hold me up. I believe the chair has the strength to keep me from falling on the floor. I have faith that the chair will not allow me to be injured. I am constantly amazed that people have more faith in their furniture than they do in God.

Best always
Brother Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment